Several new cases of measles have been confirmed in Oakland County. The health department has given over 2,000 doses of MMR to adults and children who are concerned about being incompletely covered. We are proud of the high immunization rate of the patients in our practice. We know, however, that there are people in the community who have not vaccinated themselves or their children, and we strive to provide information to help individuals who fear the vaccines more than the illnesses themselves.
Please share these excellent articles with anyone who may benefit from them.
Know the warning signs and symptoms that might indicate that your child has ADHD.
Does your child have trouble sitting still, often space out, or have trouble staying on task? If so, then your little one may be dealing with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Read on to learn more about the topic, and call one of our offices in West Bloomfield, Commerce Township, or Farmington Hills, MI if you are concerned that your child might need treatment.
What is ADHD and what are its symptoms?
This neurodevelopmental disorder often greatly impacts a child’s personal and academic life. Of course, symptoms vary from child to child so it isn’t always easy to tell if your child is displaying symptoms of ADHD or not. Here are the classic signs that your child may be dealing with ADHD:
- Interrupting: Children with ADHD have trouble waiting their turn, interrupt others while talking, and have trouble playing games. They may also be more likely to blurt out the answers in class rather than waiting for the teacher to call on them.
- Emotional issues: Children with ADHD may also have difficulty regulating their emotions. They may be prone to outbursts, tantrums, and anger, usually during unusual or inappropriate moments. This is particularly true of younger children.
- Fidgeting: Does your child have trouble sitting still? Do they squirm at their desks or have to get up and move around all the time? This symptom can also make it challenging for children to play with others or play calmly.
- Loss of interest: Does your child move on to other tasks before completing the first one? Do they seem to jump from one thing to another without finishing anything? While children with ADHD may show a great deal of interest in many different things they have trouble focusing on just one thing such as homework or chores.
- Difficulty paying attention: A child with ADHD has a lot of trouble paying attention and staying focused, even if someone is talking directly to them. If your child seems like they aren’t listening to you or doesn’t remember what you just told them, then they could have ADHD.
- Mistakes: Children with ADHD have a lot of trouble concentrating, which also means that they have trouble following directions. This can lead to careless mistakes that may be misconstrued as not caring or laziness.
While children will display many of these behaviors at some point, it’s a good idea to schedule an evaluation at one of our offices in West Bloomfield, Commerce Township, or Farmington Hills if your child is regularly displaying these signs of ADHD and it’s interfering with academic performance, home life, or relationships.
If you suspect that your child might be dealing with ADHD, it’s time to call Orchard Pediatrics today at (248) 855-7510 to schedule a consultation. We are proud to offer comprehensive pediatric medical care in West Bloomfield, Commerce Township, and Farmington Hills, MI.
Another Snow Day?! You don't have to be stuck inside. You just need to know how to play outside safely when it's bitter cold and snowy.
Do we see a snow sculpture in your future?
FDA Warns Against Use of Teething Necklaces, Bracelets, and Other Jewelry Marketed for Relieving Teething Pain or Providing Sensory Stimulation: FDA Safety Communication 12/20/2018
As some of our parents have learned, we have been concerned about the dangers of these products for quite a while. The FDA is confirming the hazards of these products including choking and strangulation. There are safer ways to make your child comfortable!! Read more....
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.