Posts for category: Pediatric Conditions
How your pediatricians in West Bloomfield, MI, can help with childhood asthma
Childhood asthma can be scary for your child, and for you. Your pediatrician can help you and your child cope with asthma, so your child can live an active, happy life without the fear of an asthma attack. The pediatricians at Orchard Pediatrics in West Bloomfield, MI, offer a full range of pediatric care services, including asthma treatment.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some of the most common symptoms of asthma include:
- Coughing and wheezing
- Problems breathing, especially during physical activity
- Tightness and discomfort in the chest
- Chronic, recurring bronchitis
For infants and very young children, you may notice these signs and symptoms:
- Slow feeding or eating and shortness of breath while eating
- Avoiding moving around or playing because of breathing problems
- Quickly tiring out, or coughing while being active
- Lingering illnesses like a cold or coughing
- Symptoms becoming worse at night
Asthma can be uncomfortable and annoying, and it can also potentially be life-threatening. An acute attack needs to be treated as an emergency and requires immediate treatment. An acute asthma episode can cause:
- Gasping and difficulty breathing
- Trouble speaking because of lack of breath
- Deep breathing which causes the abdomen to get sucked under the ribs
Your pediatrician can help childhood asthma with several effective treatments. Treatment begins with asthma testing to determine your child’s level of lung function. Common tests include spirometry and peak flow measurement to measure how well your child’s lungs function. Allergy testing may also be a part of initial treatment, because asthma is often triggered by allergies.
Underlying allergies may be treated by allergy shots or sublingual immunotherapy. Asthma is treated with a combination of medications including short-term rescue inhalers for acute symptoms, and long-term medications to help with breathing and lung function.
If your child has asthma, avoid cigarette smoke and environmental triggers, especially substances your child is allergic to. To find out more about childhood asthma symptoms and treatment, call the pediatricians at Orchard Pediatrics in West Bloomfield, MI, today!